Monday, November 19, 2007

Being an Aunt

This past weekend we celebrated our thanksgiving meal with mawmaw, pawpaw, Dodie, Jake and Hannah. This was our first holiday to be together with the new addition of baby Hannah. I so enjoyed being around everyone and getting to spend some special time with my niece. We laughed our heads off as Dodie passes Hannah over to mawmaw, going across the table, and with the best timing ever, Hannah drops drool on the pumpkin pie. Or what about helping her take a bath and seeing William play with his cousin and trying to be ever so careful and gentle. As I thought about being an aunt on the way home I couldn't help but be overwhelmed with a bittersweet emotion. These are some of the firsts of many holidays with her but not really with her. Next year, my sister, brother-in-law, and niece will go to peru to serve as God has led them. It will be different; it will be hard; it will be challenging; it will be rewarding. So...as time will allow these coming months, I look forward to spending time with this precious one, my little niece. I will cherish every minute with her and hope she will always know that she has a special place in my heart.

Dondra

1 comment:

Dodie said...

Thank You, Dondra, for you caring heart. You will always be my only sister, sibling, and therefore have a special place in Hannah's life. We are all on this journey together.