Monday, August 10, 2009

Growing Up

Rewind back to the spring of this year. The staff of our church (my palms still get a little sweaty when I say that because I am actually included in the staff) had our monthly face-to-face meeting. Nathan wanted to do something a little different than we normally do. As a church we had a lot coming up in the spring and summer that needed prayer. We started the meeting off by going to each area that was represented and praying for the people in that area. For example, we went into the worship center and prayed over Robby and the youth, Tim and the band, Nathan and his leadership over the church. We headed over to the brick building and started praying for Heather, Christy, and myself. Each time of prayer had been very meaningful and purposeful. Praying not only for the spiritual needs but also the physical, emotional, and mental. Each person had specific needs and I was no exception. As it came my turn, I asked for prayer for William as he starts school in the fall. I will never forget the prayers that were offered up on his behalf (and mine as well). His teacher was prayed for. His friends. His attitude. His learning. His salvation. His heart. My attitude. My learning and letting go. My peace.

Fast-forward to the middle of August and whether I want to believe it or not, school is just around the corner. I am struggling with so many emotions. The excitement of buying his new backpack and lunch box. The anxiety of the unknown. The heart of a mother that wants her child to know that everything will be okay. He will make friends. He will succeed. He will learn how to handle himself in unusual situations. The thought of him being in an environment that is not as "safe" as I would like. With all the struggles, come more and more prayers. With the prayers, comes confidence that he is going to be okay. He is going to do well.

He has grown in so many ways this past year. In his education, he has surpassed anything I could have ever imagined. He is writing his letters very well. He is spelling words and remembering them. He is reading. He knows around 40-45 sight words. When he starts a task, he wants to finish it to the end. He is motivated. He is a self-starter. He is determined. He is a caring, loving boy that thinks of others before himself.

I am proud to say that my son is starting Kindergarten in two weeks and I am sure this is just the beginning of him growing up...

2 comments:

Krista Sanders said...

Wish I had read this earlier. Sweet words and thoughts. I love how God has shown kindness to you with such a great start and a great teacher. Answered prayers.
Oh and by the way, YOU are a GREAT MOM!!

Margie said...

Okay, getting back to this.

I am such a jumble of emotions about this myself. And I have a year! But I so loved reading about the prayers, your peace, and his excitement. It's hard to take that next step, isn't it?