Tuesday, January 6, 2009

the Christmas Season (Part 1)

Luke 2:11 says " Today a Savior is born to you, Christ the Lord." This was our focus verse for the month of December. On one particular day while doing errands and Christmas shopping, William said to me "Mommy, I know what Christmas really means. It's not about the presents...it about Jesus' birthday! How old is Jesus?" What a great opportunity to talk about Jesus, His birth, His life and what He means to me and what He can mean to William.

We celebrated many different ways throughout the month. William helped me as we decorated the house with the great colors of red, green, and white. He took such joy in helping me adorn the chandelier in the dining room with ornaments or set out the nativity scene. He specifically and gently placed each ornament on the tree in just the right spot all the while advising his daddy and I where ours should go. As a family we had several movie nights, lighting the fire, and enjoying fresh popcorn to the sounds of the Polar Express or Charlie Brown Christmas. We took our decorating skills to a new level as we put together our first gingerbread house. It was a very labor intensive project with the icing (keeping it damp, setting it up, and then drying for hours), the trimmings, and deciding which side was his and which side was mine. William did a great job with his side of the roof but kept telling me "your side is prettier mommy." He is my 'little chef' as I like to call him and we couldn't get to the baking and assembly of all the goodies quick enough. He helped me bake 3 batches of pumpkin bread (each time breaking all the eggs) and putting together his Christmas trail mix of peanuts, m&m's, honeycombs, marshmallows, and raisins for his teachers. His excitement about giving was truly contagious! We also had the opportunity to see Santa and Mrs. Claus as they dropped by the Gaylord Texan. What a great experience! William decided to write Santa a letter and it read:
"Merry Christmas Santa! I want: webkins, airplanes, legos and a gold flute. from: William Pyle" His list wasn't that long but I still don't know where the gold flute came from! (surprisingly, he received one from mawmaw from costa rica but that's another post!) We made some great memories and we had a very special, relaxed holiday season.



2 comments:

Margie said...

I love the gingerbread house and think we might start that tradition next year around here. And what a great idea to focus on a specific verse for the month. We might go that route next year instead of the Jesse Advent tree.

Krista Sanders said...

All great ideas, Dondra. I am glad I got to actually see it all this year-- most of it. Love the idea of the trail mix for the teachers!!